Sunday 8 July 2007

Rear End fun and games.

Ive deciding that I will replace all of the rear thrust washers and seal retainers for new ones as mine are pitted and worn. I'm confident that a couple of them would not have sealed up properly due to the excessive pitting and may even have worn the seal away.

So that's held up progress a little though Ive ordered the new ones (£104!!).

Following GD's build advice Ive set the diff up 9" off of the bench to get the drop on the lower axle correct, with that done I trial fitted the lower arm with the bearing tubes in place.


Then I fitted one drive shaft after cleaning the bolt holes of paint.

At this point I noticed that the diff had gone off of the level and it turned out my "bench" was bending under the load so I swiftly took it all apart again and have now set the diff up on the floor ready to go again.

Next step is to install the drive shaft to the hub and select appropriate shims for the outer wishbone forks.

Now its starting to look a lot better!

One thing which I may need to attend to is the diff pivot brackets. Ive noticed that I have not yet cleaned the paint away from the surfaces where the thrust washers thrust against! Therefore Im thinking the pivot brackets are coming off again (looking after the shims this time!) to clean them up. Hey ho!

No comments: