How it works.


I cannot promise this will always be the latest information , but when things are slack in the garage Ill post up what I can.

Sunday, 30 March 2008

Fuel line fixed.

Last little job for the day was fixing the fuel line at the rear.

Done.

Nothing I can really do now until the engine is run up and the gearbox purchased. Funds building very slowly so maybe a few months before anything else gets ordered.

Dyno booked for 26th April.

Handbrake

Really running out of things to do now so I thought Id have ago at the handbrake.

Didn't cost me much from a local breakers, now where near the £140 new price anyway. Draw back was that it needed a bit of a clean up. It still had the factory part sticker on it!


With the grip removed I completely stripped the unit down and cleaned all parts ready for re-assembly, it came up quite well.

I had thought I would need to replace the pawl release spring (in the handle) as it was very stiff before but luckily after cleaning and lubricating with silicone spray it works well.

The whole thing was reassembled using copper grease, whether this is right or wrong I don't know but I figured it could only help.

That looks a bit better.

I'm not sure what to do about the grip, I like the clean look of the plain chrome however as it was not intended to be seen its got a couple of notches cut in it. My plastic grip is a bit worn so I could just buy a new one or come up with something a bit different, plenty of time to think about that anyway.

Saturday, 29 March 2008

Handbrake springs

With the brake lines in my list of things to do was getting shorter, so next up was fitting the two handbrake return springs.

Shamelessly copying Simon's method I fixed two rivnuts to the chassis, cavity waved the holes and installed the springs.

Another job finished.

Do you know the blogger interface really does not like Internet Explorer!

Rear Brake pipes conpleted.

With my new roll of pipe, flaring tool and a rough idea of what I wanted to do I set about tackling that little pipe link from the T splitter to the rear calliper.

1st step was to get repeatable results from the flaring tool, I worked out that about 1mm protruding above the tool gave a good result whereas the instructions advised 0.5mm.


After a few practice runs I settled on using a double flare instead of a single flare. To me it looked more like the GD supplied pipes with their universal flares and it looked to be more robust than the single flare.

With the pipe cut to length and both fittings attached I was able to start bending, well it took three attempts to get a pipe that fitted. Each time I made up a new pipe and had another go.

The end result clears the cable and lever well and only time will tell if its routing will cause and problems with bits to be fitted in the future.

What I did notice when doing this is that handbrake levers are lower than those I have seen in other build pictures, this is what caused me the most trouble during this pipe work as I couldn't get a tight enough bend out of the calliper.

Anyway I found that things were not as they seemed, after completing this pipe work I realised that the levers could move up hence increasing the clearance I have achieved in the picture above.

All being well that's that job done.

Friday, 28 March 2008

Transmission choice.

Whilst discussing my brake pipe woes with GD I also raised the which gearbox question. With the wheel and tyre sizes fixed at 18" rims with 275 40's on the back I was able to figure out the transmission ratio that would best suit. Looking at 30mph per 1000 rpm in top I got the following using the TKO600 with the 0.82 5th ratio.

And 5000rpm

The TKO 500 and 600 with 0.68 & 0.64 5th's respectively gave too short a 1st and a massive theoretical top speed in 5th.

Ill run this by Andy at GD before committing though especially as the TKO 600 is more expensive than the 500.

Monday, 24 March 2008

Quiet Month

Been a bit of a quiet month in the garage with no real progress.

I set about fitting the two rear calliper feeds from the union, the less said about that the better. Suffice to say I now have a coil of kunifer pipe and a new end fitting on order, at least this way I can now faff about with it as much as I like until I'm really happy with it. This also gives me the opportunity to remake one of the front pipes that I was not happy with.

Left side fitted. Needs to be done again I think as its too close to the cable.

Right side, kinked it whilst bending! Is knackered.


Had a quick chat to someone at GD, didn't get his name that's not too good! Anyway was advised to use a 1" mandrel to make the initial bend out of the calliper, that should stop the pipe collapsing.

New roll of pipe and new fitting arrived so ready to give it a go this weekend.