My front axles were sourced from The Jag Shed in Swindon, I started by removing the road springs to get to this stage.
From here it didn't take too long to take them all apart although copious use of WD40, a breaker bar and the impact wrench were required. I'm really glad I got a compressor with a 50L tank.
Unfortunately at this time I was more interested in taking things apart than I was in documenting the process, so virtually no photographs exist of the destruction.
I can show a brake caliper though.
But that's about it!!
Needless to say I wound up with lots of bits and an equally large box of scrap that wasn't needed.
What you end up with is a shelf of bits like this.
All the good bits were thoroughly degreased in my wife parents old bath (handy them renovating at this exact time!) gave the wife a laugh!
And then they were sent to a local firm in Chiseldon for shot blasting.
Once cleaned I painted the bits with POR15, this involves 4 stages.
1) Degrease and clean with POR15 Marine Clean.
2) Surface etch the metal with POR15 Marine Clean.
3) Paint POR15 in Silver.
4) Paint with POR15 Engine Enamel in Red.
Stage 4 is optional but the POR15 is not UV stable unless covered in and top coat, I chose red to be different from everyone else who has black or silver. Plus I like red!
Heres the first batch of parts after stage 4.
All ready to start putting the front axles together, thats for another night!!