How it works.


I cannot promise this will always be the latest information , but when things are slack in the garage Ill post up what I can.

Monday, 31 May 2010

Shift Mech extension.

Moving swiftly on to the next bit of metal work needed.

The shift mech. was removed to install the power train, a small problem was then encountered when attempting to fit it back in....it would not fit! The first of the tunnel cross members was bang on right where the shift leaver was supposed to be.

So as this could be a minor inconvenience, i.e no gears, I figured I had better sort it out.

After measuring things up I figured I needed to shift the mech. back around 90mm to clear the cross brace and give the bracket suitable strength to do the job. In the end I came up with a H shaped spacer that clears the cross member, flexed the old AutoCAD brain cells and made a wooden mock up.

After a few minutes juggling my mock up was in and I'm quite pleased. Ive only made on side as the other is identical.

You can see in the above picture how the gearshift would have fouled the chassis cross member, the attractive bit of 1960's banister rail has moved the mech back to a position where it will work.

Slightly wishing I had painted the gear box now, though its only aesthetics for these pictures!

I think the shift position is roughly around the position that the Tremec is so I'm quite please with that.

The drawing goes to PJO today and hopefully I may have the finished articles this week!

Next is to get the shift rod lengthened by the final figure of 93mm that the mech. has been displaced., then cut down the gear shift itself and modify to allow fitting of a new lever.

Once that's done its time to buy some stuff from GD!

Friday, 28 May 2010

Clutch Bracket arrives!

1 week after the gearbox mount was collected I was able to go back and get the clutch bracket. Everything looked good again.

After forgetting to allow for the weld fillet in my design I had to grind a fair bit of material away on both the bracket and the slave retaining clamp. Of more serious concern was the fact that the slave didn't fit! So A little light hacksaw and Dremel work was required to modify the lower edge of the bracket.

With that done I trial fitted and it all lined up nicely.

A quick clean with the powered wire brush (bloomin hurts when it hits your finger!) sander and degreaser saw it ready and painted.


Final trial fitting is now done, all I need to do now is sort out a suitable return spring to make sure the release bearing keeps off of the diaphragm fingers during normal driving.





The only thing that I cant verify is the slave angle, to do that I need the body and master cylinder so I can operate the clutch. If the fork drags the pushrod through a steep angle I will need to pack either the front or back of the slave cylinder out from he bracket to compensate. Hopefully it will be OK as it is though.

Well chuffed, another job crossed off the list.

Thursday, 20 May 2010

Bracket arrives!

Hoorah! The brackets have arrived...


They look exactly like what I wanted and even better, they fit!

So I cleaned them up (not so well it turns out) sprayed them in VHT engine enamel red and baked them in the oven (not so popular at home now!).


With some nice new stainless hardware they are bolted in and the gearbox is supported!



Clutch bracket ready tomorrow apparently, so watch this space....

Sunday, 9 May 2010

Brackets drawing closer....

Confirmed last week that the gearbox brackets should be ready on Friday, once thats done the clutch bracket goes for manufacture (if the mount brackets are good) and I can sort out the gearshift extension.

Had a good chat with Andy at GD on Friday to sort out a few options and I think I have decided now to fit the anti roll bar now instead of waiting unti lthe car is finished! Just need to work out if it will fit over the water pump pully.