Monday 1 October 2007

Axle finally in place.

Again a long time since the last update and again this one will be a work in progress as all my pictures are about 6000 miles away. Its 3 a.m and Ive nothing better to do as I cant sleep on my first night in Japan, I'm here on business for 4 days.

One thing that's struck me already is how well organised everything is, its clean, tidy and the trains run bang on time.

Back to what this site is really about.

Well we left off with the axle built up finally and ready to fit the chassis back on, happy to say that fitting the chassis 2nd time round was much easier once I knew the order to fit it in. I also found that by setting the front of the chassis at the right height enabled the diff carrier bolts to line up much better than last time. With all bolts in I set up the measurement from scratch again and found that the N/S now toed out!

Most annoying! So I measured again to make sure ans sure enough something must have changed when putting it bacl together. So there was only one thing for it, I'd have to adjust the shims with the axle in place.

With the chassis jacked up I was able to withdraw the lower pivot shaft to the rear of the car and following Simons advice I used an old bolt wrapped in masking tape to stop any washers shifting out of place.



With pivot shaft removed I could easily cu the lock wire away.

Undo the bolts and adjust the shimming, I removed teh N/S front shim and did the bolts back up. Put it all back together and remeasured to toe. Horrah! it was within the required vales and gave me a final setting of N/S toe in 0.26mm, O/S toe in 0.54mm giving total toe 0.79mm with a thrust of 0.7mm to the N/S.

So I jacked it up and removed the pivot shaft again so I could lock wire the pivot bracket bolts.

And put it all back to gether properly. Crossed fingers and remeasured, no change!

Job done!

No comments: